Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
These are the release notes for tovid versions 0.1 through 0.19, with the newest on top.
tovid 0.19 Edit
GNU autotools now used for installation. The old tovid 'configure' script is retired; instead, run "./configure && make install" as root to install tovid.
tovid IMPORTANT CHANGES
- Input filename and output filename prefix must now be specified using the -in and -out command-line options.
- Configuration files must now contain 'tovid' alone on the first line. Please edit your configuration files accordingly.
- Heavy modifications are in progress with the aim of improving portability. tovid now uses /bin/sh instead of bash, but it's still experimental and you may experience new bugs.
- Output and logfile formatting improved for completeness and readability
- Bugfix for panavision encoding
- Interlacing encoding (hopefully) fixed
tovid 0.18 Edit
- Able to handle input without an audio track; silence is generated instead.
- -safe option for defining a target TV safe area.
- -filters option to specify post-processing filters to be applied (or none)
- Auto aspect ratio detection and appropriate letterboxing. New -aspect option to override the autodetection
- Experimental -interlaced and -interlaced_bf options for creating interlaced output streams.
- -discsize option for breaking output files into chunks of any size. Default is 700 MB for (S)VCD, 4500 MB for DVD.
- Sanity check for missing audio stream.wav file.
- -subtitles option for encoding a given subtitle stream into the video. Currently only supports hard-encoding of subtitles; good for foreign films or anime, to have subs on-screen all the time.
- -update option, to print out progress reports only at specified intervals.
- Minor stream redirection, to prevent mplayer errors from showing up as tovid errors.
- Better stat reporting; accumulates total size of all outputs, instead of just the first output file.
- -fps and -twopass options removed.
- -version option
- Full URI may be used as the input file; input will be streamed over the net if necessary.
- -mplayeropts for passing arguments directly to mplayer
- -config option, with inclusion of a default config file. Config files contain valid tovid command-line options with any amount of whitespace or comments.
- Statistics log (~/.tovid/stats) now in comma-separated format for easy import, and now includes min/max GOP size
- Various bugfixes
- New supporting classes added for future use (HidablePanel, MiniEditorFrame)
- Bugfix to keep log window updated when GUI is not focused
- 3-step interface, instead of next/previous
- Reorganized interface classes into "task panels;" each task panel is responsible for completing a specific task, and will usually comprise several steps.
- Allowed disabling of tooltips (annoying with continued use)
- Various structural changes and bugfixes
- Identifies files that have no audio stream
- Infers aspect ratio from mplayer
- New scripts for imaging and burning discs. Incomplete.
tovid 0.18b Edit
tovidgui.py Fixed bugs:
- PyNoAppError that occurred because of premature font object creation
- Incorrect VCD video bitrate of 1500 changed to correct value 1150
- 'makemenu' command bug with text color, caused menu creation to fail
- Idle-event processing bug that prevented the next command from being run when the system was truly idle
- wxWidgets version bug that caused failure on GetFirstChild
- "Next: Encoding setup" was being enabled too soon. Fixed some cases where it wouldn't make sense to proceed with encoding.
- Refresh problem with menus; title list was only refreshed when menu was selected.
Features and touch-ups:
- Integrated help system to guide user from one step to the next, option to show/hide the help panel
- Default video title is now filename with underscores converted to spaces
- "Preview video" button on video options panel
- Command output window has larger font
- Removed unnecessary "Print command" buttons from options panels
- Disabled "Add slides" button (not working anyway)
- NTSC film (23.976fps) output support
tovid Fixed bugs:
- Bug causing normalization failure with newer version of 'normalize' (called 'normalize-audio')
- Bug manifesting in GUI when normalization was used
- Using 'tr' instead of 'sed' for CR/LF replacement, fixes potential problems under Cygwin
Features and touch-ups:
- KVCDx3, KVCDx3a and "KDVD" support added
- -type option added for specifying video type (live action, animation, or black and white). Not fully implemented yet.
- Added -ntscfilm for NTSC film (23.976fps) output
- Quick fix for already-compliant video: symbolic link from output file to input file is created (avoids extra complications in the GUI)
- Tidied up logic in encoding
tovid 0.18a Edit
- Completely revised version of the old GUI
- New component created by Jean-Francois Ouellette for requantizing (shrinking) and re-authoring DVD titles
- New -parallel option for more CPU- and space-efficient encoding
- Use -vc dummy during audio dump by default if functional
- Support for different fonts. (See tovid webpage for instructions on maximizing your font choices.)
- Configurable text, selection, and activation colors
- Support for chapter breaks at whole-minute intervals
- Grouping capability, for combining several videos into a single title
- Forced separate-titleset flag to author differing resolutions to the same disc (DVD, Half-DVD, DVD-VCD)
tovid 0.17 Edit
- New component for processing multiple videos with tovid
- New -priority option for controlling run-time priority of the important components
- New -deinterlace option for fixing interlaced input video
- Fixed bug that caused invalid VCD output
- Put CPU speed back into stats output; added version number to stats output
- Increased intra-DC precision, modified GOP size/selection
- Included luminance stretching in postprocessing to maximize luminance range, make darks darker, lights lighter
- Fixed some bugs affecting progress reporting and mplex commands
- Fixed some bugs affecting the use of filenames with spaces
- Audio encoding done first to minimize overall disk space usage during encoding
- More accurate duration reporting
- More complete identification of (S)VCD- and DVD-compliant files, identification of multiply-compliant video
- Merged with old 'makempg' component and expanded; this component now does all the necessary steps in creating an MPEG menu for (S)VCD/DVD
- Added output for "back" button from submenus
- Added support for (S)VCD still-image MPEG slides
- Fixed many bugs with (S)VCD XML output
- Added -debug option to save logs
- Added stats output
tovid 0.16 Edit
- Faster encoding time and better CPU usage on some machines by using mplayer -benchmark, and removing 'nice -n 16' from mpeg2enc
- Much higher quality output (lower quantization) at high bitrates, as well as more intelligent quantization settings at all bitrates
- Fixed bug that caused problems for locales using a comma ',' for the decimal separator
- Fixed zero-length bugs in duration, width, height, and FPS reporting
- Helpful message printed at end of encoding
- -lowquality option now affects other encoding options in addition to denoising
- Required-space messages printed in megabytes instead of kilobytes
- CPU model instead of CPU speed reported in ~/.tovid/stats; other useful stats included, better stats output formatting
- Support for (S)VCD XML output
- Checks for existence of video files
- Fixed bug that caused titlesets to begin at 2
- Message at end tells user how to use the XML file
- Improved interface and usage output
- Support for (S)VCD and PAL
- Better standards-compliance (AC3 audio for NTSC DVD)
- Automatic image rescaling
- Fixed bug that caused error on filenames with spaces
- Shrink percentage reported
tovid 0.15 Edit
- New tovid interface for interactive video encoding
- New component for shrinking video or adjusting A/V sync in finished mpeg videos
- Corrected default bitrates to conform to (S)VCD and DVD standards
- Added mplex options for variable bitrate and better buffer sizes
- Switched all scaling routines to mplayer instead of yuvscaler
- AC3 audio encoding for NTSC DVD, to conform to standard. Requires ffmpeg.
- New options for controlling video and audio bitrate
- Sanity checks for needed utilities; graceful failure if they aren't available
- Extended command-line options moved to "advanced", visible by using the -help flag
- Added -lowquality option to turn off denoising
- Identifies mpeg1 and mpeg2 video by name instead of hex code
tovid 0.14 Edit
New installer, 'configure'
- Multiprocessor support is now enabled. mpeg2enc will use multiprocessing if more than 1 CPU is available
- Progress indicator and encoding-time estimate during encoding. Most other output suppressed and redirected to a log file
- Statistics printed out on exit, and saved to ~/.tovid/stats
- Denoising now applied to all videos
- Slightly better error-checking
- More output, ffmpeg used if available for determining running length
- Quick-and-dirty script for converting a still image plus background music into an MPEG video. Useful in making menus.
tovid 0.13 Edit
- All options now require a dash '-' prefix. See usage notes.
- Added -twopass option to fix some videos with variable frame rates
- Code cleanup
- Changed options to include dash '-' when calling tovid.
- Initial release. Prints some useful identifying information, makes attempts to recognize valid VCD/SVCD/DVD video. Not fully reliable.
- Initial release. Can create a basic menu image. Only one font at the moment.
- Initial release. Creates a basic XML file for dvdauthor, defining navigation structure.
tovid 0.12 Edit
- Added support for PAL output
- Included '%d' field in output prefix for VCD/SVCD, allowing mplex to split output into CD-sized chunks for large videos
- Changed '-H' mpeg2enc option to '--keep-hf' to eliminate possible problem with differing mpeg2enc versions
- Fixed some of the frame rate problems. Most videos should encode correctly now (with the exception of ASF and some MOV).
- Added (hopefully temporary) "fps" option to force a specific frame rate. For information on using this, please see the project website.
tovid 0.11 Edit
- Switched to mplex (of mjpegtools) instead of tcmplex (of transcode), thus removing dependency on transcode
- Fixed bug when scaling to 2.35:1 aspect without denoising or normalizing
- Removed "-vc dummy" from audio encoding command (segfault reported)
- Prettied up output a little bit
tovid 0.1 Edit
- Initial release on LinuxQuestions.org